Saturday, November 23, 2013

Thanks B, I


On the third weekend of August the town of Roscoff has an onion festival.  What great fun! I mentioned, black bread box when I wrote about Pissaladerie , the wonder that is a Roscoff onion.  They are really black bread box  delicious and very versatile.  Lovely raw in a tomato salad, but  equally good cooked in a huge variety of dishes. In 2009 the Roscoff onion  was awarded an AOC (appellation d'origine controlee).   This guarantees that Roscoff onions are grown only in a certain area around the town and under particular black bread box conditions which promise a perfect onion. Although they are expensive back in England I do recommend that you seek out Roscoff onions... You may even be able to find an ' Onion Johnnie ' selling some at your local farmer's market. (Or you could book a holiday in Brittany next summer and attend the market yourself!) A 'Johnnie's' laden with onions and garlic black bread box All the family help at a busy fete such as this Wonderful onions, shallots and garlic Lots of chaps in berets More beautiful vegetables And another wonderfully adorned bike! A multi-national custom base Just to remind you what you are here for! Another great sale Don't forget the other great local speciality, the artichoke! A big thanks to our lovely friends P and F, who were staying with us and ventured into Roscoff to visit the market and who kindly took these super photographs.  I just find at the moment that my five year old and large crowds don't really work!  So we stayed at home and had a swim in the sea instead. I'm posting some photos of the local market on my other blog so do pop across for a look!
What a WONDERFUL Post! I LOVE Roscoff onions, and we are lucky enough to be able to buy them here in the South West too.....Onion Johnnies, now there is a blast from the past! Lovely post! Karen Reply Delete
Mary, I've occasionally see an enterprising young man , blue and white tee shirt and beret at the market in Kingston, but I don't think they go door to door any more! Karen, aren't they wonderful onions? Reply Delete
I love it - a festival devoted to onions and one type at that. I hadn't realised Roscoff onions were special or even unique, so that's really black bread box interesting. We've been meaning to take a holiday in Roscoff for years. It's looks so pretty and normally everyone just drives straight through it. For us it means we can just hop on the ferry and don't need to take a car. But the one year where I'd actually booked a holiday and the ferry, I realised the day before we were due to leave that my passport had expired - doh!!! Reply Delete
I've never heard of these onions ...are they a very sweet onion?? We have in the states an onion called vidalia Onion .. It is only available in the summer months and is only grown in certain places...very sweet and lovely raw. I just loved the bicycle covered with onions!!!!! black bread box Reply Delete black bread box
Choclette, thanks. It's black bread box wonderful an onion festival. I hope you manage the trip to Roscoff, it's such a lovely little town. Let me know when if you go and I can give you the names of our 4 favourite restaurants there. I hope you like seafood and I'm sure you love chocolate mousse! Miss Holly, the Roscoff onion is really popular here in France. It has a pinky coloured skin, but white inside. It's quite sweet and your eyes don't water even when you peel a few! B, thank you. I must agree, it is rather lovely, though the weather is pretty much like the South West of England! And the sea is very cold. However the food is fab! Reply Delete
Mac n' Janet, I think our comments were sent at virtually the same time! I wonder if it is a similar onion, I'm sure a lot of Bretons who emigrated to the new world would have taken many of their favourite vegetables with them and an onion would travel well. It's interesting that both you and Miss Holly mention the same onion! Thank you Reply Delete
Thank you for your comment. Sadly, from a weather perspective, I'm not in the South West anymore (now in the North East). The food does look fab, though it also needs a good cook (which it looks like you are!) Reply Delete
Thanks B, I'm sure the weather in the North East can br a challenge! It's very kind of you to mention my cooking, I think it's OK, my sons keep coming home...but it may be the laundry service! Nazema, believe it or not I saw them in Sainsbuy's, packaged under their 'Taste the Difference' range! Reply Delete
Follow @atriflerushed
2013 (110) November (6) October (6) September (7) August (9) July (10) June (5) May (9) April (12) March (17) February (14) January (15) 2012 (158) December (16) November (10) October (6) September (10) August (16) July (18) June (11) May (13) April (18) March (13) February (13) January (14) 2011 (188) December (20) November (15) October (22) September black bread box (15) August (20) Duralex Glassware Summer's End - Clams Two More S

No comments:

Post a Comment