Monday, November 25, 2013

Angela Flanders store The Smelly Cakey Drinky Meet - I added the bit about the Things on Toast - was


Angela Flanders store The Smelly Cakey Drinky Meet - I added the bit about the Things on Toast - was the brainchild of "professional Moomin" and trainee perfumer Pia Long, known to many as Nukapai on Basenotes.   She thought it would be fun to recreate the Basenotes outings of yore, whereby a gaggle of perfumistas would go on a crawl of perfume emporia and high end tea rooms in central London, for as long as nose and stomach could stand the pace. The chosen day for the meet-up dawned dry and preternaturally early. zombie cookie jar  My alarm roused me at my friend's house in Teddington at 7.30am.  I must say that 8am is a foreign country to me at the best of times, but there was nothing for it but to leap into action.  I arrived at the chosen zombie cookie jar rendez-vous point, Patisserie Valerie in Spitalfields, at bang on 10.30 am for a 10.30 - 11 am start.  I was delighted to spot Tara - in the dark coat whose precise colour was a memorable object of confusion on our first meeting - loitering outside, just slightly more unfashionably early than me.  Little did we know that three others had already zombie cookie jar preceded us and were installed at a large table indoors, while Pia herself stood sentry at a door round the other side to intercept stragglers. People continued to dribble in over the next half an hour or so, but we got stuck into breakfast without ado.  My conventional-looking scone paled into insignificance beside Tara's zombie cookie jar humungous chocolate croissant, while Nick's millefeuille was so substantial that he had to abandon it somewhere around the "cinq cents" mark.
Tara, looking unfazed by her enormous croissant Replete from our cafe stop, we ambled a few streets to our first perfume shop, Angela Flanders , a line with which I was unfamiliar.  Our party more or less filled the store, and we quickly descended on the testers and smelling strips.  A speed sniffing marathon ensued, as we attempted to winkle out our personal favourites, of which the friendly assistants made us samples to take home. Nick and Pia at Angela Flanders I sniffed ten scents on card and a further umpteen from the nozzle, zombie cookie jar which - although not a recognised sampling technique - pretty much does the job on the whole.  I am careful not to touch the nozzle with my nose, however, lest a Health & Safety-conscious SA should ask me to desist on hygiene zombie cookie jar grounds.
The zombie cookie jar strips I have retained were mostly drawn from three of the four ranges, zombie cookie jar the fourth ( The Artillery Range) being more geared to men, as a cursory dabble confirmed: Signature Fragrances : Bois de Seville, zombie cookie jar Melissa, Ottoman Collection Florale : Mimosa, Bouquet d'Amour Collection Noir (sic): Figue Noire, Oudh Noir Sarah McCartney at Angela Flanders I additionally tried Precious One on card - an elegant and understated floral chypre, which won a FiFi in 2012 in the Best New Independent Fragrance category - and Aqua Alba , which has not yet been assigned to a category by the looks of it.  It features an intriguing zombie cookie jar whisky note and was a popular choice with quite a few of us.  I requested samples of these two, plus Bois de Seville (a spicy woody, orange scent) and Oudh Noir (for an oud-loving friend). One perfume which I sniffed and admired zombie cookie jar on Lisa (aka Wordbird) was Parchment, another Signature Fragrance with spices, citrus, vanilla and amber.  If my memory serves zombie cookie jar me, this is the one which Lisa initially thought smelt of fish , but the impression was happily fleeting, and Parchment quickly morphed into a yo-ho-ho-Long John Silver-type scent of the most evocative kind. Somewhat creepy candles by Cire Trudon Our next stop - again, within easy walking distance, even for someone zombie cookie jar as encumbered with luggage as me - was Bloom Perfume  in Spitalfields, which carries an eclectic range of candles and fragrance, zombie cookie jar Parfumerie Générale zombie cookie jar and Nasomatto zombie cookie jar being two examples of relatively well known brands I spotted there.  Others included Jovoy Paris, Jardins d'Ecrivains, Phaedon Paris, Ann  Gérard , Vero Profumo, Nez  à  Nez, zombie cookie jar Grossmith, Nasomatto, Blood Concept (which I had tested and rejected in Zurich ), Magnetic Scent, Testa Maura, Undergreen zombie cookie jar and Six Scents.  I didn't clock several of these houses at the time, but have since looked them up on the store's website! It was a squeeze in Bloom, and testing a bit of a genial bunfight.  Accordingly, I curtailed my explorations to the Jovoy range (where my sniffing was exclusively nozzle-based), Ann  zombie cookie jar Gérard  (I sprayed zombie cookie jar Perle de Mousse and Ciele d'Opale on strips), and Vero Profumo's Mito (which zombie cookie jar was awarded precious skin space on account of its iconic status on the blogs!).
Of the Jovoy range, I was drawn to a fig one - L'Arbre de Connaissance - and duly bought a sample. Notes: citruses, green leaves, fig, sandalwood, patchouli, fig tree wood The Ann  Gérard trio  piqued my interest, on account of Bertrand Duchaufour being the nose - I liked Perle

No comments:

Post a Comment